History

Penn & Tylers Green Football Club – A Brief History

Slades Garage

Slades Garage - Still trading today!

Our present club was formally established in 1905 when it is believed that it adopted its first formal constitution. It achieved its first great success in the 1911/12 season by wining the Wycombe League. This Championship side was captained by George Slade, of Slades Garages, who later achieved fame as a champion motor cyclist and side car competitor.

Like many village clubs it lost a number of its playing staff during the Great and second world wars. Indeed, the Cricket Club pavilion is a listed building and a memorial in remembrance of the lives lost. French School Meadows, the home ground, takes its name from the long since demolished 18th century School catering for orphans of the French Revolution. The pupils wore a blue uniform with white feathers in their hats giving rise to the clubs blue and white strip and the club logo.

Senior Cupo

PTGFC 1st Team with club mascots prior to a Wycombe Senior Cup Final at Adams Park

French School Meadows was purchased in 1949 (before then the team used to play on the back common) showers were installed in the 1960′s, the brick building built in the 1980′s and the extension developed in 2001. Prior to the building of the club house the HQ for the club was the Horse & Groom Public House. Penn & Tylers Green FC is not only one of the oldest clubs in the county, it is also one of the biggest village sides.

Charter Status

Awarding of our FA Community Charter Standard

Every weekend some 400 children, youths and adults pull on the blue and white stripes of Penn & Tylers Green Football Club. The age range spans from the “Fantastic Footballers” (under fives) through every age group and all the way to youth and senior footballers including girls and ladies sections. Each team has a number of qualified, dedicated volunteers who ensure the continued success of the club. We are quite simply, the biggest organisation in the village providing vast numbers with the opportunity of participating in a marvellous team game. The club owes a huge debt to previous committee members and volunteers who have worked tirelessly over many years to provide the excellent facilities that we all enjoy today.

PTGFC

PTGFC present at a local expo

The function room and patio of the Sports and Social Club, provide an excellent setting for a hazy lazy afternoon, watching Cricket, Tennis and Football in close proximity in an idyllic setting with views over the Chilterns and areas of outstanding natural beauty. The new extension is for hire and is ideal for meetings of local clubs.

Given the number of Penn & Tylers Green Football Teams playing each week (26 at the last count!), it is simply not possible to accommodate all of them at our home ground. That is why we remain grateful for all local schools and recreational grounds for their continued support of the Club. However, it remains the desire of the Football Committee to ensure that as many Penn & Tylers Green teams as possible can play at French School Meadows and truly call it “home”.

We continue to demonstrate our commitment in providing mini soccer to the children of the local area.

The club is also desirous of improving the First Team pitch and senior pitch to ensure that they have the best possible playing surface. The club is a holder of the prestigious FA Community Charter Status and is proud of both its illustrious past and its plans for the future.